M101 What is Personal Tutoring?
This foundational module will help you to identify and define your own role and perspective on personal tutoring, taking into account common definitions, institutional expectations and your own personal motivation and goals.
The module will help you to set goals for their professional development and introduce the UKAT Professional Framework as a means of mapping an individual professional development trajectory.
In doing so, the modules also set an example of learner-centred personal tutoring/advising, which helps you to develop agency based on personal values and objectives within specific (institutional) contexts.
What will you learn from engaging in this activity?
- Be familiar with common definitions of personal tutoring and academic advising
- Articulate their own values and objectives as personal tutors
- Identify the goals and expectations regarding personal tutoring of their institution
- Be familiar with the UKAT Professional Framework
- Formulate personal objectives for professional development
- Identify modules from the UKAT Professional Curriculum that will help you achieve your professional development objectives
What key concepts will you understand as a result of engaging in this activity?
Personal tutoring is a professional field with a set of shared characteristics, based on definitions and tradition, for which common competencies have been defined; yet it occurs in a range of formats and practices, informed by institutional objectives and personal values.
Hence your objectives for professional development will be influenced or shaped by the interaction between these three organizing principles (common professional standards, institutional objectives and personal values).
What essential questions will this activity address?
- What are key concepts in contemporary thinking about personal tutoring?
- How does my institution view the role and purpose of personal tutoring?
- What are my values and objectives in my role of being a personal tutor?
- Which objectives for my professional development fit my own goals as well as the expectations or standard formulated or implied by my institution?
M102 Setting Boundaries and Managing Expectations [Learning Module]
M103 Listening Effectively [Learning Module]
M104 Communicating Effectively with your Students [Learning Module]
M202 Being Inclusive [Learning Module]
M203 Supporting Student Wellbeing [Learning Module]
M204 Making Effective Referrals [Learning Module]
M209 Managing Students in Distress [Learning Module]
M205 Recordkeeping [Learning Module]
M207 Outcomes of Personal Tutoring [Learning Module]
M201 Adopting a Questioning Stance [Learning Module]
M208 Our Students' Stories [Learning Module]
M301 Coaching in Practice [Learning Module]
M302 Narrative Advising in Practice [Learning Module]
M304 Flipped Advising and Tutoring [Learning Module]
W303 Managing Students in Distress [Workshop]
M105 Self-care for Personal Tutors [Learning Module]
M306 Transformative Leadership of Advising [Learning Module]
Framework Competencies Addressed
C1. Core values of academic advising and tutoring
C2. Theory relevant to academic advising and tutoring
I1. HE Provider mission, vision, values, and culture
I3. HE Provider policies, procedures, rules, and regulations